Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Valentine's Day

Noodlebug and I used the long rainy weekend to work on valentines. We used the rocket valentine from FAMILY FUN magazine as our inspiration.



We got about six sheets of glitter scrapbook paper from Joann's along with some fat Valentine's Day straws. I believe I got those at Target.  We already had a bunch of regular straws on hand for crafting.  Using the template from FAMILY FUN, we glued our rockets together. The fat straws needed to be cut in half to get the proper length so you get two rocket valentines from each straw. We closed one end of the fat straws with tape and then used tape to secure the rocket to the straw.  I didn't trust glue to hold it together.  We then stuck a colored straw inside the fat straw and we now Valentine rockets that can shoot to the moon!  I was worried that the inner straws would get easily lost so we made another trip to Michael's for some cellophane treat bags. I whipped up a quick bag topper in WORD and we stapled the bag shut. This will also (hopefully) prevent the 1st graders from getting out the rockets during class and shooting them about the room!

I have also thought of Valentine's Day as a day to celebrate lover rather than lovers.  I not only give little treats to my husband and son but I give them to my friends as well.  I used this tutorial and printable as inspiration this year. 

(Image borrowed from and owned by Tatertots and Jello)
I found some burlap pouches in Target's discount bins that had a heart image on them. I filled them with nice chocolates and attached the wonderful printable.  It is a small gesture but I hope it will be a nice reminder to my friends of how much I love and appreciate them!

No comments: