Friday, May 2, 2008

Joy of Puppets


When I was a little girl growing up in Dallas, there used to be a puppetry company called Kathy Burks Marionettes. My parents took me to many of the shows and they were always so magical!

I just catalogued a library book about puppetry and it made me think of those puppet shows from my childhood. I checked the internet to see if Kathy Burks' company was still in existence. It is! It is now known as Kathy Burks Theatre of Puppetry Arts and they collaborate with the Dallas Children's Theater. Their latest production was of "The House at Pooh Corner" utilizing vintage puppets. (see photo above borrowed from the Kathy Burks website) I think there is something special about puppet shows because there is such a unique connection between puppet and performer. And it is always so exciting to see an inanimate object come to life! I hope that as baby gets older, we'll be able to find puppet shows in Northern California that are as unique and special as the ones that I experienced as a child!

1 comment:

HippieDog said...

I have been thinking about puppets too! Maybe it's all the library books I'm reading....thought it would be fun for Jake to make a little craft.....he will probably just try to eat the glue and who knows what else :)