Thursday, November 12, 2009

Sewing and the Holidays

Well, I got three pillows done yesterday. I haven't sewed in so long that it took me awhile to find my rhythm.  And then I made lots of mistakes.  But I think I have it down now.  Three more pillows to go and I may even make a few more!  Photos forthcoming.

I am looking forward to the holidays this year because I will have a lot of uninterrupted time with my family due to furloughs at work. (this is the silver lining of furloughs)  I am so looking forward to it!  Some of you long-time readers know that I am an only child and I am adopted. I was adopted when I was three months old.  I cannot remember a time when I didn't know I was adopted and I have never had any issues with it nor have I ever had any real desire to find my birth parents. I am curious about what they look like but that is about it.  I already have parents.  There have been many times in my life, however, that I have longed for a big family. My mother is also an only child so I grew up with only five cousins on my dad's side. I have always longed for the large rambunctious families gathering for the holidays that I see in movies and Folgers commercials.  I had hoped to find that when I married. Well.....my husband has three brothers and I have learned that any children in this family will have to come from my womb. So, Noodlebug will have no cousins. And he has only one living grandparent.  It looks like I won't ever fufill my dream of having a large family Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I have never longed for wealth or fame or anything like that. But I have really longed for family. I have spent my whole life gathering close friends who have become my extended family.  But most of them are far away.  I hope someday to fill my house with loved ones at the holidays. I become wistful when I read others' blogs about holiday plans involving noisy crowded houses. But I am grateful for what I have.  It looks like Noodlebug may be the only baby I ever get. But God sure blessed me with a good one!!!

4 comments:

Gary said...

I think you've done a remarkable job pulling together a community of family. They're from all walks, that's for sure. Definitely something to be proud of and feel good about!

CatieAn said...

I come from a large family 7 siblings dozens of cousins and have loved and lost 40 aunts and uncles and my dear father. We are blessed to have four amazing children and now sons/daughter in laws and grandchildren. I thank God every day and never take it for granted.
I don't know what it is like to have one child..... but noodlebug is so amazing. What a joyful and happy little boy. I know how very much you love him.

We always invite people we know that have no where to go for the holidays and it is awesome how some of these people become closer than even some family.

I applaud you gathering your friends to your family circle. One never knows how much that impact can have one on person in that special time.

Large families are all dysfunctional to some extent---what i mean is there is infighting and carping and someone not speaking to the other. I have two older brothers who divorced themselves from the rest of us for their own problems.....it is very sad they aren't in our lives but the rest of us can't fathom their choice.
I guess i am waxing tired but I just want to tell you that love given away to others will come back in so many other ways---including "adopted' families.

We always have room for more so if you need some 'adopted' grandparents' we are available.
catie

Amy M. said...

Catie---Thank you so much for your sweet and thoughtful comment. It is so true that families come in all shapes and sizes and sometimes they aren't even related by blood! I am so grateful for everything I have and all the wonderful people in my life, family or not. Including all the great bloggers I have met over the years!!!

-Amy

HippieDog said...

I know how you feel Amy, it may not always look like it on my blog....but we call ourselves the three musketeers. I hope Jake doesn't mind much that we waited so long to have him......I wanted more babies desperately ( a huge family---to do a better job the second time around...but it wasn't in the cards....like you I'm so thankful for what I have. Have a beautiful weekend! xoxoxo