Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Homemade "Goldfish" Crackers

Some friends have recently gotten me reevaluating my love of Goldfish crackers.  Although they taste so good and they are so convenient, I don't like the extra stuff in them such as the high salt content and (in the case of the colored ones) artificial colors. So, I decided to make my own version using a Weelicious recipe.  I used the one in the Weelicious Lunches cookbook but it is also available on the website. The Weelicious recipe uses whole wheat flour, butter, seasoning and cheddar cheese. That's it.

Here they are before baking.  I used some miniature cookie cutters I found at the outlet mall last weekend for $4. I probably should have rolled my dough a little thinner but they worked.  I baked them for the full fifteen minutes and I probably should have taken them out after 13 minutes. Also, I thought I had a disaster when the dough wouldn't hold together. I then realized that you need to pulse the dough for a good 3-4 minutes to get it to come together. Guess I was too impatient. Overall, I am really happy with the results.  I thought they were really tasty and I can't wait to make more!

No comments: