Monday, April 13, 2015

Week Three: Renting in Sonoma County

A realtor friend connected us recently with a homeowner whose rental was about to go back on the market.  Everything about it was perfect.  Great location near my son's school.  3 bedroom, 2 bath.  Small yard with planter boxes.  Garage with attached studio.  Porch and fireplace.  About 1700 sq ft.  And the owners were going to put the rent at $2200 which is at the high end of what we can afford but doable. It was going to be a step up for us and that would have changed everything.  We were so excited.  We had an appointment to go view it on Saturday and I had my "elevator speech" ready to go.

At 9:45am on Saturday, I headed over to the venue for the fundraiser that I was chairing that night in order to start decorating. On my way over, the owner called and said they had decided to sell instead of rent.  I couldn't contain my emotion.  I sat in front of the venue for about 10 minutes crying.  I saw the volunteers gathering and knew I had to pull myself together and focus on the fundraiser for the rest of the day. I had foolishly let myself get carried away with hope and daydreams.

There is a slim chance that there is a backup option available but there are already two applications pending.  It is smaller than our current home with no yard to speak of. It is also attached to another home.  Plus, it would be $400 more than we are currently paying. So disheartening to think of paying so much more for so much less.

I went through my morning ritual of checking the local property management companies and Craigslist.  Here is what I found:

3 bedroom, 2.5 bath home for $2700
4 bedroom, 3 bath home for $4750
4 bedroom, 3.5 bath home for $5495
5 bedroom, 3 bath home for $3900
3 bedroom, 2 bath home for $2700

Our absolute upper limit is $2300.

We spent the weekend starting to fill the POD that was delivered on Friday. It feels strange to pack with no idea where you are going to land.  When we moved into our current home almost four years ago, we downsized and got rid of a lot of stuff.  I know we will be downsizing again.  I can deal with that.  It is just hard to think that we will be paying so much more.  I'm definitely getting discouraged.

6 comments:

Shelly said...

OH how I wish there was something we could do to help you!!!!! Sending hugs and tons of positive thoughts your way... Try (somehow... as challenging as I know that must be) to stay positive!!! xoxoxoxoxo -Shelly

Amy M. said...

Hugs and positive thoughts are always welcome. And needed!!!

Julie said...

I know you may know about these already, but they could be options?
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/305-Marylyn-Cir-Petaluma-CA-94954/15768283_zpid/

Julie said...

http://www.zillow.com/petaluma-ca/rent-houses/

Amy M. said...

Julie--You are an absolute sweetheart. Those are definitely on my radar! The good news is that the owner of Mahoney Davison Property Management is a friend. The bad news is that she doesn't have much in our price range that doesn't already have applications pending. :(

Julie said...

My fingers are crossed! I figured you had your eye on these in one way or another. I just want you to find a happy home!!