Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Inspiration from Hymns



(Beautiful Piece from Take the Cannoli)
I haven't done anything creative in awhile.  I just got a few materials to start Bible Journaling recently but have not had a moment to sit down and begin.

I have been thinking a lot about hymns lately. I grew up in Texas and spent a lot of time in my grandparents' Baptist church in Waco. My grandmother would often walk around the house humming hymns and they make up a great deal of the soundtrack of my youth.

A few of my favorites:

"Blessed Assurance"
"Just a Closer Walk with Thee"
"The Old Rugged Cross"
"What a Friend We Have in Jesus"
"I'll Fly Away"
"O Christ the Same"
"How Great Thou Art"
"Softly and Tenderly (Jesus is Calling)"

Have you ever noticed how many classic hymns address trouble and strife?

Many of my favorite childhood hymns are not in my current Lutheran hymnal but I am making an effort to collect them into a list. I would like to do something creative with these hymns. I'm going to keep on collecting hymns on this post and then I to put some of the lyrics into a new piece.

Do you have any favorites?

No comments: