Monday, June 18, 2012

Father's Day

I don't feel like I get to spend much quality time together with my husband and son. When we are all at home together, I tend to be running around frantically trying to clean up and catch up with everyone I haven't been able to do during the week. Especially at this time of year when I am working ten hour days at work.

Yesterday, we spent the whole day in San Francisco. We went to the California Academy of Sciences where we saw the new "Earthquake" exhibit.  They had adorable baby ostriches as well as a shake table!  You enter a room that looks a little bit like someone's living room. You grab onto a bar and then the room starts to shake.  The first earthquake you experience is the 1989 6.9-magnitude Loma Prieta earthquake.  Then, the room changes slightly and you get to experience the 1906 7.9 magnitude San Francisco earthquake.  I'm from Texas--land of tornadoes---so earthquakes are completely foreign to me. I was very unnerved by the Shake House but my son thought it was really cool.  After learning about earthquake preparedness and after taking in a movie about earthquakes in the planetarium, we headed to nearby Stow Lake.

They just refurbished the boathouse at Stow Lake and you can rent paddleboats and rowboats by the hour.   We chose a rowboat and rowed around the lake for an hour.



Noodlebug learned how to row and he actually did a really great job. Maybe in a few years, we can sit back and he can row US around the lake!

In spite of the chilly weather, it was a lovely day.  Much needed by our little family.

I'm really struggling with stress and grumpiness right now. Trying to keep it all together.  One day at a time, right?

No comments: