Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Clotheshorse Wannabe


Sorry I haven't posted in a few days. My computer was broken but now I'm up and running again!

I work in a junior college library and one of my favorite parts of the day is unpacking the boxes of new books. Today, we got a set of books called "Fashions of a Decade." The books cover the 1920s through the 1990s. I just had to stop and thumb through them. I think it is so interesting how fashions have evolved. Especially women's fashions. We have done incredible things over the years to shape and mold our bodies. Even now, I laugh at myself trying to squish my body into maternity SPANX.

Some of the clothing in these books is just beautiful! My very favorites are the "New Look" garments that came out in the 1950's. The nipped in waists and the full skirts that could be covered with a dainty half-apron! So glamorous. I just love it! While thumbing through the 1920's book, I realized I would have made a lousy flapper with my copious curves. I would feel like "Thoroughly Modern Millie." (if you haven't seen that film, treat yourself...it's really cute)

I am currently chairing a special event at my local woman's club that will be held in March. We are having a 1940's USO night. I'm really looking forward to it but I'm having a hard time picking a costume. I'd love to find a nice flowy vintage maternity tunic to wear over pants or a skirt. Or maybe I'll go as Rosie the Riveter. In any event, I'm sure people will find it amusing when I tell everyone at the event that my soldier and I had a quickie wedding and he went off to war leaving me "knocked up."

If anyone has good costume ideas for me, leave me a comment. I'd also love to hear what your favorite clothing styles and eras are.

3 comments:

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

I was a teenager in the 70's and love the tunic tops and bell bottoms. They were fun to wear.

Amy M. said...

I like the tunic tops too! I never understood bell bottoms, though.

-Amy

Sarah B. B. said...

I can't tell you WHICH TV show, but one of the black & white ones once actually showed the woman pregnant, & she had the coolest trapeze-type dresses, similar to the very high-waisted or no-waisted jackets that are in right now. That might be fun for you, too.