Tuesday, August 4, 2009

DIY Canopy

I have always loved the cool bed canopies and kid forts that you see in many catalogs. Like this wonderful Halloween creation from Pottery Barn Kids:



The Pottery Barn version is $99 which is a bit out of my price range. Luckily, I have run across several DIY tutorials for canopies lately. This one from Country Living magazine uses an embroidery hoop:




(photos above borrowed from and owned by Pottery Barn and Country Living)

I saw a similar canopy in a parenting magazine recently that used a hula hoop. If I find that tutorial, I will post it. Thanks to Monika for the link.  See image below. They have a girly version too. In the meantime, my head is buzzing with ideas for my own versions!

(image source)


By the way, if you haven't picked up a copy of Country Living magazine lately, you are missing out!!! They have redesigned and I found myself marking almost every page in the last few issues.




**UPDATED 8/20/12***  I love FAMILY FUN magazine so much!!!  They always have the best ideas.  Go here for a no-sew reading nook canopy.  Can't wait to try and make this one!!!

(image source)

4 comments:

Alison Gibbs said...

Love the Halloween setting but it would be fun to create ona smaller budget.
Alison

Gary said...

Wow, you could have a ton of fun with these. I would have exploded with excitement if my folks had done this kind of stuff to my room (they did OK, though. I remember getting new carpet and bedding at least once).

Monika said...

Was it this one?
http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/cool-canopy-675544/

I was searching for instructions to make one for my son and your blog came up before I found the family fun link, so I thought I'd come back and post.

Amy M. said...

That's the one, Monika! Thank you!!!!


-Amy