Monday, July 19, 2010

Next Project: Child's Apron

(photo borrowed from and owned by Sew Liberated)

UPDATE:  Done!!!! I did the apron last night in about two hours. I like the pattern. Very easy to make. I ended up not binding it with bias tape.  The one snag I ran into was my desire to iron vinyl onto the front panel of fabric. I did this first and when I turned the apron inside out it crinkled the vinyl.  Still, it looks okay and it is definitely functional. Maybe next time I will iron on the vinyl last.  I will post photos soon!!!

Noodlebug needs an apron for both helping in the kitchen and for messy art. I have had a hard time finding a pattern that I like. I really wanted more of a smock but I'm going to go with this child's apron from SEW LIBERATED.

I hit Joann's today and got more of this fabric that I used to make Noodlebug's boxer shorts:


I think they are discontinuing it which is too bad because it is so darn cute!!!  It was on sale for $2.99 a yard.  I really wanted to use oilcloth but it is expensive and has limited patterns. So, I'm going to use iron-on vinyl for the front panel of the apron. HeatnBond makes some for $9.49 for 2 yards. I used my Joann's 40% mailer coupon on that. I'm going to use a bright yellow bias tape for the edges.

I'll let you know how it goes! In the meantime, I need to finish the Anna Maria Horner museum tunic I have been working on and start my Christmas rag quilt!

3 comments:

Alison said...

That will be one cute apron

Nikella said...

I like the fabric you chose! I find it hard to find nice fabrics for boys.

Josh Healy said...

Hi, hope it's OK to contact you here. We would love to include your blog on our giveaway search engine: Giveaway Scout (http://www.giveawayscout.com). Have a look and if interested, use our online form to add your blog (http://www.giveawayscout.com/addblog/ ). thanks, Josh