Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Seed Bank

My little town of Petaluma (population 54,000)  is full of all sorts of wonderful things.  It is known as the Gateway to Sonoma wine country and is only 40 miles from San Francisco. So, we get the feel of a little country town with the cosmopolitan life just minutes away.

My dream is to own my own little farm house someday with a wraparound porch and lots of room to garden. My husband does pretty well with the bit of land we currently rent.  We ate and "grocery shopped" out of our garden during the summer last year and it was wonderful!!!

My husband gets so excited when the seed catalogs start arriving. We are lucky enough to have one of the Baker Creek Heirloom Seed stores right here in town!  It is located in an old bank and is known as the Seed Bank.

(image source)

I love taking out of town guests here because it is such a wonderful place to browse.

(image source)
The seed catalogs have started arriving and we are thinking about the vegetables we would like to grow. I'm thinking of trying my hand at blueberries this year!!!  Of course, I am also drawn to heirloom flowers. Aren't these pansies lovely?

(image source)
And then I start thinking of snapdragons and sweet peas and zinnias and how about a gate covered in morning glory and what about all my favorite Texas wildflowers:

(image source)
You can see how I can get lost in daydreams while perusing the latest seed catalog.  Sigh.

If you'd like to view the catalog online or get your very own copy, go here.

As for me....you'll be seeing me at the Seed Bank.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

I love that old bank building. It sure looks just like the old bank buildings here in our little towns, too. Seeds...seed catalogues...dreaming of UN-muddy soil right now, it's still going to be months and months before we can plant anything!
Hugs, Heidi

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

Makes me want a big salad with homegrown vegs. Have a great weekend...m..

Nikella said...

What an impressive place to shop at! I love old buildings with a history and while I don't garden I am sure I would find a reason to go buy something in there!