Monday, January 3, 2011

The Word for 2011

(image source)

Wonderful Jenny inspired to me to choose a word for 2011. I really struggled with this assignment.  I first chose "Hope" because I am clinging to hope as I enter the new year.  Hope that my husband will find a job. Hope that the health of the people that I love will either continue or that it will improve in other cases.  Hope that I will eventually get out of debt.  Hope that things will get better for so many people who struggled in the last year.

2010 saw the end of five marriages that I care deeply about.  (three of my bridesmaids!!!)  Two of my friends have parents struggling with cancer. My brother-in-law continues his battle with cancer. My husband along with two other friends lost their jobs and continue to be without work. A dear friend had her house ransacked and her car stolen right after Christmas.  And the clincher---a dear family friend was murdered in early December. Annus horribilis indeed.

My last post was about the word "silence" and I contemplated using that word as my word for 2011.  Such a good word and one I need to remember. I am a talker and sometimes feel I suffer from logorrhoea. It would do me a lot of good to just be silent and meditative.  I need to take time and reflect more often.

However, I finally settled on "remember."  I tend to get swept up in my own problems.  I get grumpy and start feeling sorry for myself.  And then it will be brought to my attention that there are always people worse off than I am. When I start feeling sorry for myself, I need to remember all the blessings in my life.  My family and friends. My health. A roof over my head and food on my table. Things I try not to take for granted but probably often do.  So, this year, I will try to remember all my blessings and be mindful of what I HAVE instead of what I don't have. 

It's time to "consider the lilies of the field"....

(image source)

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I think that's a perfect word for you. Wow, what a tough year! I had no idea. I think remembrance also brings hope... don't you?

Auntie Bliss said...

Bless your heart!
This new year can only be sweeter for you and your family.