Thursday, November 29, 2012

Advent Calendar Extravaganza *UPDATED*

I'm starting to think we may be getting too many Advent calendars.  How many does one household need?

First, we have this one that Noodlebug got when he was a toddler.  He still loves it:

(image source)

Last year, I got Noodle a LEGO Advent calendar but it was a big dud. The pieces for each day were so odd.  The theme seemed to be "police and criminals" which didn't translate very well for the holidays.  So, this year we are trying a Playmobil calendar:

(image source)
 I love all the little woodland animals in this one.

I recently downloaded the EVERDAY EMMANUEL e-book from "What's in the Bible."  I am always looking for ways to get back to the true meaning of Christmas.  It includes some printables for making your own posterboard Advent Calendar and using the characters from the video series.  I finished it just in time for Advent!  The book includes a variety of activities that you can do during Advent. More than enough to put one in each slot:


The "Countdown to Christmas" and mini-Buck Denver were included in the e-book.  I used mini-envelopes cut in half for the pockets and an Advent calendar printable from HOW DOES SHE for the numbers. Our first activity was to make a "Hope" ornament for the the first Advent calendar. (the ornament printable was included in the e-book)

My husband brought home a Trader Joe's chocolate Advent calendar from work.  Then, we made sticker Advent calendars in Sunday School this past weekend. So....we are at FIVE Advent calendars and counting!!!

I have wanted to make a cookie sheet Advent Calendar for years and thought I would finally do one this year but I think three calendars might be enough.  I already have to worry about the arrival of our Elf on the Shelf.  (Ours is called Crumpet and he'll be here December 1)

Whew!

I'm really glad my Christmas shopping is basically done so I can just focus on family traditions and the real "reason for the season."

Hope you are all having a wonderful holiday season so far!

4 comments:

Wanda said...

You can never have too mnay Playmobil advent calendars. :) I got my first one when we were stationed in Augsburg GE and now have about five more. :) I love Playmobil.

PCovi said...

Playmobil has been the favorite toy in this household!! That is one cute calendar! Thanks for the ebook link.

Sarah B. said...

Y'all are READY for Advent! :) In your spare time (hahah) you should check out Truth in the Tinsel, which is crafty and awesome at getting kids to dig into the Biblical Christmas story. I love it, even though the girls are still pretty young for it.

Amy M. said...

Thanks for the recommendation, Sarah! I will look for that!

-Amy