Thursday, April 18, 2013

Thinking of West and Boston

What a difficult week!  Just when we are reeling from the tragedy in Boston we are faced with another one in my home state of Texas.

My grandparents lived in Waco, Texas and my mother grew up there.  I spent all of my childhood regularly traveling to Waco.  West, TX is just north of Waco and both are in McClennan county. My grandfather represented McClennan County in the Texas legislature.  We have strong connections to that part of Texas. That is why it is that much harder to hear about what is happening in the little town of West.

I always loved going through West.  This charming little town is known as the Czech Heritage Capitol of Texas.  It is also home of the official kolache of the Texas Legislature.  A wonderful day in Texas is a visit to West for antiquing and some delicious kolaches. 

(image source)

Each Fall, they have a wonderful festival called Westfest which is a really fun Czech and Polka Festival. My parents took me there when I was little.


(image source)

And now this sweet little town has been devastated by an industrial accident.  My heart breaks for West.  The events of this week can truly shake one's faith.  But we have to remember how many people have raced to help--how many people have offered food and shelter---how people all over the country have asked how they can help Boston and West.  There is good.  We can see it even in the face of tragedy.  My thoughts and prayers are with Boston and West today.

No comments: