Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Beeswax Collage with Anna Corba

I have wanted to take a class with Anna Corba of Found Cat Studio for years.  I love her mixed media projects and how she incorporates beeswax into them. I have never tried that before and decided it would be fun to take one of her community education classes at the local junior college.

Each student's station was stocked with materials:

She even let us paw through her collection of ephemera which was too fun! Isn't it wonderful to get to go through someone else's stash?

I like to collect a bunch of images that I like in big stack and then sort through them to figure out a narrative.  Here is one of my pieces as I was trying to figure out how to lay everything out:

I have been very attracted to birds and butterflies lately.  I think part of it is that I feel like my own baby bird is getting ready to fly away. (he starts Kindergarten next week) Also, butterflies represent change in its most beautiful form. 

I managed to finish three pieces.  My favorite is the one on the right:

It is hard to see from the photographs but we sealed each piece with beeswax which gives the whole piece a lovely color.  It was a fun class and got me excited about the big art retreat coming up in September!!!

Stay tuned because I am going to feature several back-to-school posts over the next few days leading up to Noodlebug's first day of school!


No comments: