Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Grinch or Elf?

I have been really upset ever since reports came in about the poor Walmart employee who was killed last Friday trying to protect a pregnant woman. I do not participate in Black Friday nor will I ever if I can avoid it. There is something really wrong about a country facing an economic recession where people actually kill each other for a flat-screen tv. We are sending a message to the world now that material things are more important than human life. It is so awful I can barely think about it.

However...

I picked up my first batch of Santa Letters for the Make-a-Wish Foundation yesterday. For every letter to Santa that Macy's receives, they will donate $1 to the Make-a-Wish Foundation. As I counted the letters, I read a few of them and I could barely stop the tears. Along with the typical requests for toys and bikes, I found messages of love and hope and even a few of desperation. "Please let my Dad find a job." "Please reunite me with my estranged wife." "Please help us find a home so we can leave the shelter." "Nothing for me Santa. Just comfort those in need." It was just the shot in the arm that I needed. It was a reminder that we all need Santa no matter how old we are. That people still want to believe in something pure where a man gives joy and gifts to people expecting nothing in return. So, although I may feel a bit Grinchy at times, I still have hope this holiday season. And I think playing elf with these Santa letters will help me maintain it.

Here's wishing you peace and joy this holiday season...

6 comments:

HippieDog said...

I know how you feel Amy, I barely watch the news or read the paper because I just can't handle it. I'm not a shopper...but a very good online shopper...it's the only way to go. Thanks again for the reminder about Macy's.....I will get Jake's letter ready :) Happy Merry Christmas sweet one! xo

Amy M. said...

Thanks Hippie! I left a letter for Santa myself. Figured I needed to send some love out there too!

Gary said...

I could hardly believe that Wal-Mart story when I read it last weekend. I appreciate your perspective. Nicely done.

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

My friend I want to thak -you for this post. I agree with every single word you said. A big Amen!!!!♥♥♥

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

I came back to read your post again. I really liked what you had to say. Have a great week...m.

Amy M. said...

Thanks Mary Isabella! I was deeply affected by the death of that Walmart employee. I hope we can learn to let go of the consumerism and get back to the true "reason for the season!"