Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Searching for Divine Divinity

(photo borrowed from and owned by the Food Network)
Our church's bazaar only happens every other year.  As part of the bazaar, one of the women's groups holds a bake sale. There is always divinity. My mother and I LOVE divinity.  When I was growing up back home in Texas, my grandmother made divinity every year and I associate it with the holidays. I made sure to start my volunteer shift at the beginning of the bazaar so I could stock up on divinity.

There was no divinity.

I couldn't have been more disappointed.

So, now I am on a quest to learn to make my own.  First, I have to buy a candy thermometer. The very idea scares me.  Then, I have to find the perfect recipe that won't be too difficult for me.

I'm going to start with Paula Deen's recipe because....well....I love Paula Deen.

If anyone has any recipes or advice to share, please leave a comment.  If I can pull this off, I may be giving everyone divinity for Christmas!!!

4 comments:

PCovi said...

I love divinity!!! I think I failed at it once and didn't try again. I hope you succeed!
I'm Phyllis if you remember I was ShabbyintheCity long ago :)

Amy M. said...

Phyllis! I never made the connection that blissitydoodah was the new Shabby in the City!!! I'm so glad you stopped by! It's good to hear from you! I'll add you to my blog roll.

-Amy

Christie said...

I love this post! I make divinity every year around the holidays. I use a recipe from Betty Crocker. I tried to use a candy themometer but for me it is easier to use the cold water test. I have also learned that if you are using the newer metal bowl to mix everything it it can turn out very very wrong because the heat doesnt escape. I can make 8 batches and get 6 right so dont give up on the first try. Oh yeah it is really sticky. messy and takes a while but the benefits are wonderful! email me if you have more questions. kariisa33@gmail.com

Have fun!

Heidi said...

I think I tried to make it once, too, and wasn't happy with the results. I do have a candy therometer now (I don't think I did years ago when I tried making divintiy), so maybe I'll watch and see what you come up with and try your recipe! There is a little shop in a town nearby that makes divinity TDF (to.die.for.) ...ahhh..maybe I should just leave it to the pros or I'll eat all I make!
Can't wait to see what you make!
Hugs, Heidi