Wednesday, December 5, 2012

End of Year Wrap-Up and 2013 Plans

I spent the past year really trying to work on myself.  I read Gretchen Rubin's HAPPINESS PROJECT, spending one month on each chapter.  I took Stephanie Ackerman's year-long journaling course.  I took multiple classes from Brave Girls Club along with Jeanne Oliver classes and Christy Tomlinson classes.  Sometimes I made it all the way through an online class and sometimes I didn't.   I am starting to figure out that online classes that require a lot of supplies don't work for me.  I feel like I learned a lot over the past year.  I'm starting to realize that even though I still like many of the same things that I did 10 or 15 years ago, those things no longer define me as they once did.  I used to have a very modern-looking home filled with strong bright color and Mexican folk art. I still like those things. But the new Amy is craving a farmhouse with more of a shabby chic aesthetic.  I am returning to my Texas childhood with my desire for a house out in the country where I can keep chickens and bees and have a large garden. I am no longer a "Big City Girl."  I am a long way away from reaching my goals.  Having my husband out of work for two years was devastating. He is just now starting to make a little more money through contract work but isn't close to earning what he did at his old job.  It will take a long time to climb out from under our debt.  But we are working on it and I'm starting to feel hopeful again.

This year, I am going to scale back on online courses. Right now, I am just signed up for one. I'll be taking Tamara Laporte's LIFE BOOK 2013 class. It features some of my favorite artists like Melody Ross and Christy Tomlinson and I think I already own most of the materials on the class list.  I want to continue this journey of self-exploration. I want to try and make more handmade items that I can sell with my friend Monique at craft fairs. I want to gain more confidence in myself and my creative abilities. Noodlebug will be entering Kindergarten next year. (gulp)  I want to be active in volunteering at his school which means scaling back other commitments. This year, I'll be reading DAILY STRENGTH FOR DAILY NEEDS by Mary Wilder Tileston for my year-long book.  I'm making plans and getting ready for the new year.

Assuming the world doesn't end on December 21. (wink)

What are YOUR plans for 2013?  I'd like to hear about them.

No comments: