Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Festival of Trees

A local women's group called the Petaluma Fabulous Women hosted their second annual Festival of Trees this past weekend. I am fairly active with this wonderful organization that takes a grassroots approach to fundraising.  The Board identifies a need within the community and then builds a fundraiser to address that need.  The founder of this group was featured on OPRAH.  It's such a great idea that really embodies the idea of neighbors helping neighbors.

Last year was the first Festival of Trees. The Fabulous Women got local businesses and organizations to decorate 4 ft trees for the event.  The trees themselves were either donated by a local home improvement store or were underwritten.  The businesses and organizations then decorate the trees and add a few extras such as gift certificates, wine tastings, bicycles, massages, mani/pedis, etc.  The trees are then bid on through silent auction.  There is also live entertainment, food, crafts, vendors and a a chance to visit with Santa.  All the money from the event goes to three different charities.  This year, one tree went for $1000!  The tree winners not only get a fabulously decorated tree to take home but all the add-ons as well. I wish I could have bid on a tree but they were all in the $100-$500 range by the time I got there.

The local Woman's Club that I am President of donated a tree:

 My mom and I created a peppermint tree that came with a one year's membership to our organization and two bottles of wine.  My mom ended up winning the tree.

I volunteered again this year and worked the food table where we were selling pastries, hot chocolate and s'mores on a stick:

(photo by Paul McGavin)

I wasn't overly fond of the Santa that was at the event.  Neither was Noodlebug:

(with his buddy K....photo by Paul McGavin)

I only let Noodlebug visit Santas with REAL beards but this visit took place while I was busy volunteering.  He wasn't scared.  Just not very enthusiastic.

Looking forward to next year's event!!!


P.S. I am giving away a beautiful picture book on my book blog.  Come by and check it out!!!!

No comments: